Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The time I Messed up Jan's Hair & Lost my Mind but Not Myself Even Tho I Tried

This story was originally part of the Fall Sucks post but I trimmed it out...

Right after I started Beauty School in Fall of 1989 I was at my friend Jan's one nite. I had just finished the hair cutting unit & she thought I should try trimming her hair. I wasn't too confident in the idea but she was (there may have been some wine coolers involved in this - shhh... don't tell my mother) in any case I did something totally wrong & instead of giving her an angle to frame her face I gave her a flap to frame her ear. Yep. Cut the whole side of her hair clean off. It was HORRIBLE!!! I freaked out - totally. Somehow thru the night I built the whole thing up in my brain to a disaster of epic proportion. I was embarrassed & ashamed & a failure & I had to run away. So I did. I snuck out of her apartment before she woke up, went home, packed a few of my clothes & took the family photo off the wall in the hall at my parent's house threw it in my little duffel bag, got in my car & decided to "get lost". I think I had visions of being like Julia Roberts in that movie where she runs away from her creepy husband & lands in a quaint town & starts this whole new wonderful life. Sigh. It didn't quite happen that way.

I got on the expressway & kept getting off at different ramps which led me in circles so after several hours I was still stuck in rainy cloudy friggin' Illinois. I finally exited the highway & wound up in Antioch. I was totally lost but not in a good way. As I was driving around trying to figure out my next move a squirrel darted in front of me, I swerved & then THUD! Yep, killed it, saw it's little corpse in my rear view & everything. So now not only was I failure but I was a murderer. After spending my entire day in emotional turmoil that was the last straw, I was now in hysterics. I couldn't take it any more. I stopped at a Holiday Inn, checked in using my mother's credit card & then fell asleep in an exhausted stupor.

I slept hours. Hours in which my mother, who is like queen of intuition when it comes to her kids, was frantically searching for me. It seems she walked in the house after I left & just knew something was wrong. She went upstairs to look for me & noticed the picture gone off the wall in the hall & then really knew something was wrong. So she called everyone I knew looking for me but no one had heard from me and since this was the pre-cell phone era I had pretty much disappeared. She was pretty much in full panic mode until I woke up in the Holiday Inn in Antioch & realized what a moron I was & called her to come rescue me. Which she did, drove out there & got me & was just so happy to have found me she didn't kill me where I stood. I have a really awesome mom.

My friend Jan got really pissed & didn't speak to me for a few months. Not so much because I botched her 'doo really, altho that didn't exactly thrill her, but because I had acted like such a goon. Eventually we talked & worked it out, I was forgiven & her hair, like hair tends to do, grew back (she had to wear one side of her hair up in a barette for about a year, the only saving grace in the whole situation was back 1989 that was actually fashionable). We are still friends today & as she predicted that nite when she was streaming mad & wanted to murder me, we can actually look back and laugh at what happend. As you can see I have great friends too.

No comments:

Post a Comment